Saturday, April 23, 2011

My voice - Their reality

by Christina Barlow-Hoffman on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 3:31pm

I am not one that likes to write, I'm just not good at it. I have a hard time finding the right words to get my point across. BUT, I have something to say and have been tired of not saying it.

Being the director of the Forget-Me-Not Children s Program, has really stretched me! If you know anything about me, you know I love each one of those kids, but I hate speaking in public! Well, in a position like mine, you can't sit idle and not speak out on behalf of these children. I try so hard to advocate for these precious ones, be their voice when they have none. Why do I always feel that I am trying to convince others of these kids true reality?? The reality is this...'special needs' kids in Liberia are being rejected everyday, from a society that places little value on them! They do die, they are killed, and so many times abandoned, just because of their special need. When I speak to individuals or groups, advocating our program for our kids, I am THEIR voice. Why must I feel that I have to convince you of what I already see and hear? Why must I feel I have to sell a product to you to 'entice' the 'deal.' I'm not selling a product, but I certainly feel like I have to be a salesman sometimes!

Is it that we Americans are so complacent, so desensitized that if it's not physically in front of us, if it doesn't directly impact our world, we can't see it? If any one of these precious children were yours, you would do anything to give them the best life possible! Well, that's where I'm at right now! I do have 6 beautiful children and a fantastic supportive husband that are such an amazing blessing to me! I also am in love with my Lord and so thankful for the gifts and the blessings that he provides daily to me and the FMN program. He constantly reminds me to "speak the words for the children, and leave it up to their hearts to see it." That is truly tough...especially when we have witnessed so many children dying. I consider every single FMN child precious! I do love them!! I grieve when something happens to one of them. I do get frustrated and angry when people don't 'get it.' When we are advocating on behalf of the FMN kids, and feel dismissed, it is like that person just dismissed a hurting child. Please understand, I know there are so many others out there that feel like I do, especially those directly involved in ministry. I am so grateful to our regular sponsors who have never met a FMN child, but give from their heart, to an 'unseen' situation. They bless this program in so many ways, but mostly bless a child. I love all of you who listen to me, and know me, and know my heart. This program is working because God continues to bless it, regardless of what I do. I truly am nothing without HIM!

So, when we feel knocked down, doors shut...we wipe off our knees and keep moving forward, keep being a voice for some precious kids, because that's what God wants from us. Obedience. I will stop when He tells me I'm done.

















No comments:

Post a Comment