Thursday, July 3, 2014

A Tribute to Jenny


A very good friend of mine was laid to rest today. And while I rejoice for her home coming, I also grieve the loss. Jenny Groothuis was known and loved by so many.  She touched and affected so many. Her candle has stopped burning but her memories never will. I am posting a tribute to my dear friend and sharing some of my memories of her:


I met Jenny 10 years ago when I struggled to bond with my 2 girls adopted from Liberia. There were so many of us adopting that time from Liberia and that community of adoptions- small. We all got to know one another regardless of which agency one used. Jenny was the first person who said to me,  “you don’t have to love them now- just love them for where they are at, tomorrow will be another day.”  Wow.  I actually had permission to not be this perfect adoptive parent! (And I was an adoption coordinator who should have had it more “together” than most parents) Jenny was my rock during this very trying time.



Along the way, Jenny made a trip to Liberia with me while I worked for an adoption agency there. I had an unbelievable time with her and was blessed beyond measure. (In this post I am sharing some of the pics from that trip) Jenny, as you can imagine, was a magnet to children. They were drawn to her and she to them. But that was who she was. She was born to be a mamma. And a mamma to many who she might not ever call her own.  One night we had to take a baby to the hospital that was deathly sick and sadly that baby girl died. She held that beautiful dead baby in her arms all the way home and grieved for her (as we all did). But I knew Jenny was grieving the death of her own Liberian baby daughter all over again just a few short years earlier. 



( Jenny and that beautiful baby)

Together Jenny and I went onto to help many other struggling adoptive moms over the years and she was my go to girl for a valuable resource to refer an adoptive parent in crisis. And I referred many to her. I was honored to even be a part of helping her and Brad adopt 3 kids that were rehomed after coming to America from Liberia. They are a perfect fit for the Groothuis family. And loved they are.



Jenny was a friend who took the time to know me and my story. She spread the love of Jesus where ever she went.  She was there for me when I was struggling in my marriage. She prayed for me during this time, continuously and without judgment. She epitomizes what it means to be a Joyous Christian women who couldn’t wait to be home with her heavenly father. She set the example daily in her own life, in her marriage, and in her parenting. I remember visiting her one day and asking her kids, “do you ever get into trouble- does your mamma ever spank you”?  I asked this because, I, like many, followed Jenny on her blog and she seemed perfect. I thought how could I possibly measure up to someone who has it so together? But her kids set me straight and Jenny and I had a good laugh over that one.




Jenny also was a mom to many in her neighborhood. She taught moms how to be better moms. Both in her neighborhood and through her blog. And she did it joyfully. 


  

I will miss her dearly. She cannot be replaced and her life cut short far too early. I know she is rejoicing in heaven while her family feels the immense pain of her absence. Jenny is loved and known by so many far and wide throughout the U.S.




And she reminds us that no matter our struggles- God is with us! And he is with us through ALL the pain and struggles. There is always going to be someone else needing uplifting during their darkest hours. We need to continue to serve them and give them hope and encouragement even during our pain. Till he calls us home as well.


(Jenny and her family)

I leave you with this quote from Jenny as this shows who she really was:
“Children need mothers…. Strong and joyful mothers, who know who their God is! 





p.s. wearing bright colored clothes and painting my toe nails in memory of Jenny this week! :0)




2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Jenny was in a Bible Study with me. They had the four boys and one night she said they were thinking of adopting a child from Africa-she said she had been dreaming of adopting and found a website for children in Liberia. She talked of terrible things happening to children because their parents had died or left them to roam the streets. She talked of seeing pictures of a couple of girls that touched her heart. It became a discussion and we talked of the expense, travel, Brad missing work, etc. We agreed with her and felt that God's hand was on it. She brought back 4 beautiful daughters, and buried one in Liberia. They answered God's call several more times and increased number. Jenny touched everyone with her beautiful smile, gentle reprimand when you deserved it, and love emanated from her. I am so thankful that God shared her with all of us, we all are blessed.

    ReplyDelete