Saturday, December 5, 2009

wrapping up my week here in Liberia.....



We did a little supply shopping and headed to pick up the bed boxes I ordered. These bed boxes were a simple concept to be able to have beds for our kids when we run out of cribs. To purchase a crib here is very expensive, we try to send pack and plays whenever anyone travels, but they are also heavy, so we can only carry a few at a time. I had a simple concept for a wood box to place a soft mattress in that a woodworker could make. When we came to pickup the first one, it was this beautiful baby bed!!







Went to visit Barry, Kenneth, Maddie and Martina. I love these kids! I just can't say that enough! All the kids just melt my heart!
Met one of our foster dads who Surprise lives with. Sweet baby boys were fast asleep, so I didn't get to see him smiling to day.



Also visited Favour again. She was so cute in her little outfit and her matching shoes! She was sitting and standing (with support) so well! I loved seeing how her caretaker/foster mom implements therapy and works with her to increase her muscle tone and abilities! I cannot say enough wonderful things about these women!






Visited with Joseph, the young man that has some medical issues with his lung. The dr.'s first thought it was a heart issue, but turns out it has something to do with his lung. We'll be working on getting a special dr. to consult for medical treatment. Joseph is a very well spoken, polite, 15 year old boy.For more on how to help Joseph-go tohttp://www.globalorphanoutreach.com/Medical.html



I ended the evening with a visit from Professor Flomo who work is a professor at Cuttington University. I really admire this man! He is working with us to help implement Global’s work in Liberia too and gives us great advice.



Drove through the red light district...horribly busy. It takes an hour to move a mile!! People everywhere! We also witnessed a lot of criminals being arrested, carried off in a police truck with a very large rifle pointed at them! Yikes!



This week has really opened my eyes to the struggles of daily life, simple things we take advantage of, are such a struggle here. The needs for support in communities are overwhelming! I will be bringing home several cases for sponsorship needs. It is so great!

One of these cases is Varney. For now, his mom needs support to continue taking care of him. She is alone, husband abandoned her, and her community (muslim),has rejected her. My goal is to move her into a Christian community where she will feel no shame or be shunned. She wants to live as a Christian. She has gone without food for three days at times. This broke my heart to hear how this devoted mother, to a very sick child, has no one to help. Even though Varney may not be able to have any medical intervention, he has a very loving mom that loves and cares for his needs. She just needs someone to know that they care and will provide some support to help her. Could that be you?
FYI-I did leave some funds to help a little in the meantime.



Tomorrow I leave to go bk to the U.S. More about this trip will be posted during the coming week.









No comments:

Post a Comment